Changes in the World Post World War II by Max Davis

     I created a survey that covered the most important and influential effects of World War Two. The survey was generally directed at high school students with little knowledge about the topic. The first question of my survey was “What do you think has changed in the world the most because of World war Two?” The three potential answers were, “Changes in the way governments are controlled” at 45.16 percent, followed by “Ability of weapons at 32.26” percent, and last “Changes in social equality” at 22.58 percent. My second and final question in this survey was “What was more important as a result of World War Two in your opinion?” The possible answers were “the creation of the atomic bomb” which received 32.26 percent. The other answer was “increase in women’s workforce” which had 67.74 percent. I was relatively surprised by some of these results and I’m going to share my opinion about what was collected from this survey. 
     First I’ll start off with what was surprising to me. I was definitely surprised to see how the first question turned out. I did not expect for changes in how governments are controlled to be as far ahead as it was. I thought at first that the ability of weapons would easily triumph over the other answers, simply because of the atomic bomb. It was also unexpected that change in social equality was so low in the numbers. In general I thought changes in government control would be significantly lower. Since social equality was so low in the opening question I expected that women’s workforce would not be double the amount of the atomic bomb. 
    The amount of change in the way governments were controlled and thought of was quite substantial after the war. After the war more people understood the way in which Hitler had destroyed the way of life for many people. Nearly everyone was able to recognize that the style of government Germany used would not work in society. Although this change was massive to the world as a whole I do not believe that this should have topped the list. 
    Social equality took a many steps forward due to World War Two, because when the men were out of the country fighting in the war there was a massive increase in the women’s workforce back in America. Also there were many more women fighting in a war than there ever had been. There was a enormous rise in African Americans fighting as well simply because we needed more soldiers. After the war people were much more accepting of African Americans going to war. Most likely social rights would have gone up for women and African Americans, but World War Two most likely moved the process forward a few decades. 
    In my opinion there is no change from World War Two more important than the atomic bomb and ability of weapons. Social changes and government changes are significant, but nothing is more significant than the atomic bomb. Creating atomic weapons did more than win us the war it has made us realize that as a society we could destroy ourselves. Not just cities or countries but the entire world. That one weapon has changed how the world is thought of. 
    To conclude, I think that World War Two advanced government, social equality and weapons. Although I do not agree with the exact results of the survey, I do think it was interesting to see what people thought and how spread out the results were.




Comments